Food microbiology: fundamentals and frontiers
IMPRINT Washington, DC : ASM Press, c2019
CONTENT PREVIEW Since its introduction in 1997, the purpose of Food Microbiology: Fundamentals and Frontiers has been to serve as an advanced reference that explores the breadth and depth of food microbiology. Thoroughly updated, the new Fifth Edition adds coverage of the ever-expanding tool chest of new and extraordinary molecular methods to address many of the roles that microorganisms play in the production, preservation, and safety of foods.
Sections in this valuable reference cover material of special significance to food microbiology such as:
- stress response mechanisms, spores, and the use of microbiological criteria and indicator organisms
- commodity-oriented discussion of types of microbial food spoilage and approaches for their control
- the major foodborne pathogens, including diseases, virulence mechanisms, control measures, and up-to-date details on molecular biology techniques
- state-of-the-science information on food preservation approaches, including natural antimicrobials and the use of bacteriophages in controlling foodborne pathogens
- beneficial microbes used in food fermentations and to promote human and animal health
- updated chapters on current topics such as antimicrobial resistance, predictive microbiology, and risk assessment
This respected reference provides up-to-the-minute scientific and technical insights into food production and safety, readily available in one convenient source.